Five Internet Trends
You can get a more detailed explanation on the five Internet technologies that all administrators should know about, but here is my take:
- Classroom Management Applications - Every lab should allow the teacher to monitor, control, and share every monitor in the lab. As we move to a device for every student we need CMA's that work in wireless environments.
- Lecture Capture - Customization and review are two factors in raising student achievement. Students need to be able to review lessons on their own time. Check out the Khan Academy for a preview of how this might increase practice time.
- Parent Portals - One way to encourage parent involvement is to provide them timely information on the progress of their child.
- Skype - We were doing a lot of videoconferencing in 1995. We are doing less in 2010 because Skype and other services are filtered out. Somehow, we need to get this filtering thing figured out or we will kill the golden goose.
- Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) - You probably has seen TV commercials about "The Cloud" and cloud computing.
The future is here. All aboard!